BREAKING ALL THE RULES Forum

Full Version: REPUBLIC VS DEMOCRACY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
~~
THE DAY OUR REPUBLIC BECAME A DEMOCRACY, THAT WAS OUR UNDOINGOne thing today that’s very troubling is why we are trying to make every country in the world a democracy, when that’s really doing them more harm than good. It was Abraham Lincoln who said, “As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of a democracy.” Beautiful sentiment. But it only proves that even a brilliant man like Honest Abe could be wrong.Think not? Then explain this: When some woman asked Benjamin Franklin what type of government the Founders gave us, he answered, “A Republic, ma’am, if you can keep it.” Long-forgotten words, because we not only have failed to keep it, most people don’t even know what a republic or a democracy is. Harry Hopkins, FDR’s right hand man, said: “People are too damn dumb to know the difference.” That’s harsh, but reluctantly, I tend to agree.So, this article is being written specifically to help people, especially our young people, know and understand the difference between a democracy and a republic. Because this difference is the key to healing what ails our nation.

A Republic is Rule by Law-- which strengthens a nation, and a Democracy is Rule by Majority-- which weakens a nation. That’s why our Founders were adamant about making America a republic. They knew that a republic recognizes the inalienable rights of individuals, while a democracy is only concerned with group rights. After all, it was the democratic process that got Jesus crucified.I urge you to read Fred Bastiat’s little book, The Law, written in 1840. In it he says “All human beings possess the rights of individuality, liberty and property. These gifts proceed from God and precede all human legislation.” Bastiat was alarmed by how the law was being perverted into an instrument called “legal plunder”.
The law becomes perverted when it punishes one’s right to self-defense in favor of another’s right to plunder. And aren’t we seeing that in America today.In shunning democracy, and with the laws of a republic guiding us-- men in authority can never rise to subjugate us; our nation will no longer feel the need to interfere in a foreign country’s chaotic agenda, and our individual opinions and actions will replace mob rule. So think republic, then watch America bounce back to its original greatness.